Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Sad News of Sue Baker's Passing

 


Hello Howell Band Family,

It is with profound sadness that I inform you all of the passing of our dear band nurse, Susan Baker.  Sue was our camp nurse for all 21 of our band camps while I have been the director, both home and away.  Her service included the past two years during the pandemic.  Sue also served as a nurse on all but one of our spring band trips to New York, Boston, and Chicago.  Her "day job" obviously was being a nurse, and as I recall it included serving with distinction in the University of Michigan Health System in a variety of capacities.  Both of Sue's kids were in the Howell band program, Charlene on flute and Russell on euphonium, and I am heartbroken for both of them. 

You'll notice the words "serve" and "service" keep coming up in my description of her.  That's because she had a big heart and dedicated her life to helping people.  I cannot count how many times.. ok I actually can, I sent that woman dozens of times to the emergency room with kids ailing from a variety of maladies: Heat exhaustion, bad colds, sprains, broken bones, throwing up, bee sting reactions, rashes... the list goes on and on.  I once sent Sue with a kid and a garbage bag via taxicab to a hospital in the middle of Manhattan.  I went with her and the kid when I could but most times it just her and the child.  That's the kind of lady she was.   

I'm proud to have worked with her and I am proud to have been her friend. I'm still shocked she's gone and I'm going to miss her terribly. 

I've spoken with the family and public is welcome to her memorial service if you would like to pay your respects.  I've included a link to the information.  Donations will go toward her granddaughter's college fund. 

 Susan Baker Memorial info