Thursday, October 28, 2021

BAD NEWS FOLKS... PEP BAND AT HARTLAND IS CANCELLED (Explanation Below)

 Hello Everyone,

If you would like the TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read) version,  here it is:

1)  I just was (2 hours ago) told I can only take 35 people to the game at Hartland (70 signed up)

+

1)  75% chance of rain

= 2)... We aren't going tomorrow night.  Pep band at Hartland is cancelled.  :(

From what I understand, if Howell wins and Holt wins, we will have a home game next week, which we will definitely play at (for at least the start of the game) rain or shine.  I am very sorry if you made plans or bought tickets to see your child perform tomorrow night.  If you would like a detailed explanation keep reading.  If you are super upset, please calm down first, then give me a call and we can work something out. 

Explanations:

A.   Rain and away games don't mix.  If it's a home game, we can at least begin the game because we have a place to go if it rains.  At an away sight, we don't have that luxury.  We also have the challenge of every child having a different ride situation and I never want to have a kid stranded in the rain.  Again, we always at least try to get a home game in, but away games just aren't worth the risk.

B. Even if we were going to try and go, I still would have to cut 35 kids (70 signed up, and Howell only received 350 tickets for the game).  I would not blame our athletic department or Hartland's either.  It sounds like MHSAA was late getting the ticket info out.  Had we known earlier in the week, I could have made it work, but that coupled with strong possibility of rain brought me to the decision we have.  

C. Why didn't we wait and see? Because by letting you know right now, you have a chance to hopefully change your plans.  I have found over the last 20 months or so that people just want a decision, and that uncertainty is at least half of what is making everyone so edgy... ok maybe 40%.  For what it's worth, I had to say no to a rehearsal dinner for a wedding that my wife is in because of pep band and I can't change my rsvp now, so I feel for you all.

-Smigell