Wednesday, August 06, 2008

(Before you read this, make sure to read the previous entry as well, the earlier entry has all the info. This entry is more of a sermon, you have been warned) ;)

OH MY GOLLY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! I am almost done with the arrangement of "Get Smart" and it ROCKS!!!!! I have some bad news however (mostly for me). I dunked my phone in the sink and I have no cell phone until tomorrow. If you must get ahold of me, Best bet would be to email me at jsmigell@mac.com I will check the email hourly as I finish the arrangement and prepare for squad leader day tomorrow.

By the way, I hope you folks read this blog, as we (the boosters and I ) really do try and maintain it as a way of getting information out to you (the students and parents). Is it perfect? No. Do we update it at least every week and a half? Yup. If you look through the archives, you will see that it is the one thing that has worked for me as a form of consistently disseminating information to the public. Even with the numbers a bit down this year, there are still over 200 (thats just kids, not counting parents) of you, and one of me (plus the handful of other contributing bloggers... shouting out some thanks!). I know sometimes it takes a while to get back with you, but email at jsmigell@mac.com during the summer and smigellj@howellschools.com during the school year still is the best way to get in touch me. I do truly care about each and every one of my students, and thus by extension the parents of those students. Your questions, opinions, and concerns DO matter to me, and I promise to do my best in the face of the crazy conditions of our district and state in general. I worry sometimes that people think teachers in this state and especially this community are burnt out and have given up on kids. For me at least, that could not be farther from the truth. The kids are the reason I keep coming to work. I know for a fact that the vast majority of the teachers (and administrators) in Howell feel the same way I do. We are all happy to have jobs and are ready make this year shine!!!

Everybody in this state has felt the pinch of the economy, some more than others. The pinch is forcing everybody to do more with less and in less time than ever before. It is important that we support each other as much as possible with so many uncontrollable outside factors (like the economy) already bringing us down. I for one pledge to be more positive, less cynical, less of a complainer and be more willing to give extra to this program, and I urge you to do the same. The band is a family, and it is times like these that show us it is the family (in whatever shape or form) that sees us through.

I cant wait to start doing what I do well, which is work with kids. I can't wait to meet the new folks and I can't wait to see the vets again!

GO HIGHLANDERS!!!

-Smigell

p.s. The entry below is very important. Please read all of it as it has lots of valuable band camp info!