Friday, February 01, 2008

Hello everybody!

Smigell here! Long time no blog! Anyway, thanks for all of the well wishes from people who asked about my health. For those of you who don't know, I sprained my bad falling down as I was walking out of my house. The chiropractor really did a good job, and I should be back on monday. I have some information about solo and ensemble for you!

If you do not know your time (I am not sure how you possibly could not know by now, the sheets have been in the front of the band room for a week), you can call me on my cell and I will help you out. I cannot post it here, but many bandos know it and can give it to you. If you do not know any bandos who have my cell #, you can email me at jsmigell@mac.com and I will call you back.

If you just need directions, goto http://walledlake.k12.mi.us/pdfs/WLNdirect.pfd for a map.

Since I haven't been in school, I haven't been able to do my normal check of people's events to make sure they are qualified. Here are the guidelines or a self check. If you have any questions, call my cell and I will make sure to check my email before then end of tonight as well:

1. Pieces must be a minimum of two minutes long and should not be longer that 5.5 minutes
2. You need to have an original score to give to the judge. It must have both the piano part and the solo pat on the same sheet. If you are playing in an ensemble, you still need the SCORE. A copy of the part will not be sufficient for the judge.
3. Make sure your measures are numbered.
4. Put the name of your school on your music.
5. If you made many many cuts in a piece (to reduce time) please give me a call to make sure that you don't get disqualified for "arranging"
6. Make sure ti show up at least 1/2 hour early, as things will be crazy.
7. Make sure to wear something nice for your performance!
8. DO NOT ACCOST OR APPROACH THE JUDGE IN ANY MANNER! If you disagree with your score, let me deal with it later, there is nothing you will be able to do at that time.

Just a warning, I heard from Rick Pethoud that the proceedings for S&E tonight were cancelled because of the snow, and they are allowing people to come tomorrow and "fit in when they can" It is going to be a MADHOUSE, so show up ready for action.

As for everything else that is band, check back on the blog soon for a "state of the band" address from your's truly. Things are going very well considering all of the challenges we have had o face this year. I will be providing a calendar for the rest of the year and other information that can help some of your questions.

Finally, I wanted to let everyone know (if you haven't already figured this one out) that the howellhighlanderbands.org website is longer current or being updated. I have been trying to get in touch with Mr. Sequin to take the site down. For now, please come directly to this blog for you info to avoid confusion.


Ok... that's it for now!!!
Enjoy the snow day!

-Smigell