Tuesday, March 08, 2022

MR. SMIGELL MESSAGE/ CALENDAR / DRUMLINE CLINIC & AUDITIONS

 AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM MR. SMIGELL

Hello everyone,

I am retiring from band directing at the conclusion of this school year. I held off telling you until I told the kids because I wanted them to hear it first. I have been wrestling with it for months, and I'm very sad right now, but it is the right time and the right thing to do.  

I wanted to let you know how grateful I am for your hard work and service to our beloved program.  I hope you feel that I have reciprocated that hard work and dedication.  It has been an honor, privilege, and pleasure to serve you and your children.

This came out of the blue to a lot of the kids, so in case you are curious, I am not getting fired or forced to retire due to scandal or something spicy like that.  It is just time to start a new chapter in my life.  I have been teaching the past 25 years in public school and having seen the program through the hard part of the pandemic, I feel like I can turn the reins over to someone else with a good conscience.  

There is a lot more we need to talk about.  We currently plan on proceeding as agreed with marching band camp at Eagle Village at the same time (Aug 7-11). We are planning lots of other events to finish out the school year (see calendar below).  In order to facilitate a smooth transition, we are also preparing for next school year.  With me letting everyone know relatively early, it will allow administration to do a proper search and time to find good candidates that will do right by your kids.  I'm positive you parents of returning members will be part of the process in some way.  

I will keep you abreast of the situation as it develops.  Again, thank you so much for being wonderful people and letting me work with your fantastic children all these years.

Go Highlanders,

Jason Smigell


DRUMLINE CLINICS & AUDITIONS
It's that time already!  Drumline and marching band preparations for 2022-23 are underway!  See the link below for details.  Please note:  the March 17th clinic is mandatory for all leadership candidates and the March 19th clinic is mandatory for all interested drumline students.  Any questions?  Please contact Mr. Smigell at smigellj@howellschools.com or Shaun McDonnell (contact info in letter).

BAND & SCHOOL CALENDAR

Jazz Band Rehearsals:  March 8, 17, 24 and April 5 & 6 from 2:30 to 4:30 (2:30 to 3:30 if in the very, very big jazz band and 3:30 to 4:30 for the big jazz band)

March

  • 15th - Remote Learning Day
  • 15th - Deadline to turn in money for bottle/can drive  CLICK HERE FOR BOTTLE/CAN DRIVE INFO
  • 17th - Drumline Leadership Clinic & Auditions (grades 9 to 12)
  • 19th - Drumline Clinic & Auditions 8 am to 1 pm in the H.S. band room (see details above)
  • 21st - Collage Concert rehearsal after school until approximately 4:30 pm
  • 23rd - Collage Concert (Includes Wind Ensemble, Perc Ensemble and Jazz Band along with Choir) at 7 pm
  • 24th - Marching Band/Camp Informational Meeting at 7 p.m. in the H.S. band room (mtg. is optional - registration forms and detailed info will be posted after the meeting)
  • 28th to April 1st - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
April
  • 6th - Howellpalooza at 7 pm (Includes Jazz Band, Percussion Ensemble, Rock Band and a variety of other choir and drama performances)
  • 15th - NO SCHOOL
May
  • 6th - 1/2 day school - morning classes only
  • 11th - SPRING BAND CONCERT AT 7 PM
  • 12th - Last day of school for SENIORS
  • 30th - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day Parade (Marching Band)
June
  • June 2nd - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
August
  • August 7th to 11th - Marching Band Camp at Eagle Village