Tuesday, August 18, 2020

So, we have school tomorrow! (info about marching band, start of school and the New York money)

 



Hello Everyone! 

Let me start by saying THANK YOU to all the people, kids, parents, volunteers, staff and construction crews that helped us make band camp a STARK RAVING SUCCESS.  I think it's fairly safe to say now that I think we made it through without any you know what rearing its ugly head.  More than ever, this is a team effort that required everyone's compliance, cooperation, patience, and elbow grease.  I am SO proud of the kids.  

So as always with our program.. ON TO WHAT'S NEXT

Here we go!  I know there have been a lot of questions about what the heck is going on. Hopefully I can answer a few of them.  I want you to know, I am trying to keep you as informed as I possibly can, there are lots of things changing every day, so I will tell you what I know:

THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF IS IN BOLD (and additional info/discussion/speculation will be regular font)

There is no marching band practice after school for at least this week and next week.  BUT marching band will exist again somewhere this year.

-We are trying to determine whether we wait until spring, do a little bit during the fall to keep it fresh, and how to involve perhaps the non marching band members.  For now until we get our sea legs underneath us, I am not going to stress everyone out by adding extra rehearsals when we have NEVER done anything like this before. 

-It is my utmost wish and intent to march again this year. When that is unfortunately is still up in the air.... As we all know about these times never guarantee, never say never.   Please bear in mind that whatever form marching band takes, it most likely will not be the marching band you are used to.  This could include splitting the band, waiting until spring, having each day band become a marching band.. everything is on the table.  I plan on creating something with the kids that will make as worthwhile experience as I possibly can WITHIN THE REALM OF SAFETY.


Do not bring your instruments the first week of school.

We are still trying to figure out the best way to get everyone geared up and set.  As you have found out, EVERYTHING takes longer, right down to assigning lockers, figuring out how to clean our room.. etc.  Don't worry, it will get better.


The band room will not be open the first day of school.  Please wait until your class time to come to the band room.

Don't worry everything will be solved in due time.  I will make sure YOU personally are taken care of, but wait until it is class time, can't have big crowds right?


Lots of you have schedule questions.. Those will be fixed or at least worked on the first day we have together.

I know this is a huge mess (TRUST ME).  It is going to take some time to sort it out.  Our biggest priority is keeping band on kids' schedules, and keeping the numbers in each band balanced,  KEEPING THE KIDS SAFE WHILE THEY ARE UNDER MY WATCH, and their mental health.  After that comes our normal primary goals of making them good musicians and good citizens.  You may not get to be in the band that you want to be in.  You may have to make some new friends.  Unfortunately, that is the way of things this year. 


The first New York Refund check is in our hot little hands.

That is confirmed.  It's the larger portion (over $100,000) that we will now be sending your way.  Estimates put you receiving it the week of labor day.  

Due to the nature of band and aerosols, etc, there are stricter guidelines in place for participation in band than in other classes at the school.  

Due to larger class sizes, the risky nature of our activity, and the unpredictability of this virus, we have more safety measures in place.  This includes wearing a mask at all times in class and outdoors unless we are playing.  This is not up for discussion. Band is an optional class, and requires the permission of the instructor to take it.  

There is hope, and we will be making music soon!

Hang in there folks, I know everyone's patience is pushed to the limit (Full disclosure, I'm going to be a little on edge the first few days myself.  It has nothing to do with y'all), continued cooperation, patience, tolerance, and compliance will make this possible.  I really think we can do our portion and be safe if we follow my guidelines.  I love you folks, I will do my best, and so will you.  Working together (6' apart with masks on) will pull us through.  :)



-Smigell