Friday, January 24, 2020

READ THIS FOR SOLO/ENSEMBLE INFO

Good morning everyone:

Here is the short of it: SOLO AND ENSEMBLE IS STILL HAPPENING. The school (Howell) will be open at noon today if you need to get stuff out of it.  The school (Howell) will also be open tomorrow but Howell Choir is hosting solo and ensemble as well so it will be much more problematic    to get things tomorrow. Ideally, I would like everyone to come get their stuff between NOON AND 4PM TODAY.  Howell choir s&e starts around 4PM today so you want to get it before then.  PLEASE BE SAFE AND DO NOT ENDANGER YOURSELF FOR THE SAKE OF S&E.  If you are going to cancel, please email me so I can let the site know and we don't wait for you all day. Ok that is the basic info.... Read more below if you are new to S&E or want to review how this works:






1. Solo and Ensemble is at Brighton HS.  You should have the schedule with your time and section already (They have been available for two weeks, if you still need one, email Mrs. Allegoet at allegoel@howellschools.com and she will send you one.

2. Show up to Brighton HS one half hour before your appointed performance time.  There will be an information desk.  Walk up and tell them your performance section.  They will directo you to your warmup room.

3. Report to the warm up room.  Wear something nice to your performance.  (At least a nice shirt/blouse and slacks. Sweaters, school appropriate skirts, shirt and ties work too. You can wear your concert uniform if you wish but it is not necesarry).  YOU MUST HAVE YOU ORIGINAL SCORE OR YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.  This means if you are playing with a piano, you need the original piano part to give to the judge.  Some of you may forget it.  I will bring as many of them as I can remember and you can come get it from me.  Budget extra time if you plan to come find me.  I am in PERFORMANCE ROOM 4

4. After you check in with the warm up room person, go ahead and warm up.  If you are playing with a piano, make sure your accompanist is with you.  Try not to over play during your warm up, you should be good to go by now and you want to be warmed up but not tired for your performance.  Your warm up person my ask if you want to go early.  If you are ready, go ahead and take it, it helps the site alot by keeping things moving along.  However, you are not ready, you are not obligated to go until your specific time.  The later the time of day, the lorger the possiblity of the rooms falling behind.  Sometimes by up to a half hour.  You can leave your case and your coat in the warmup room while you go perform, but do not leave anything else there as the warm up person cannot guarantee the safety of your valuables.

5.  Your warm up chairman will come tell when it is time to play. Follow them to the performance room.  It will be just a regular classroom at brighton HS.  There will be a judge and a performance rom person in the room and anyone you bring for an audience.  Some kids want people to watch them, others would rather go it alone, the choice is yours.  Your parents if they are there would probably like to listen to you, just sayin' :)

6.  The judge gets the original.  They will probably be nice.  If they aren't let me know.  Introduce yourself politely and tell them what piece you are playing.  When they say they are ready let it rip and do your best!  If something goes wrong and they are going to disqualify you TELL THEM YOU WANT TO TALK TO YOUR DIRECTOR BEFORE THE JUDGEMENT IS FINAL.  I AM IN PERFORMANCE ROOM 2.  Let me try and help you.  It has to be right then and there though, or the judgement will be final and I won't be able to do anything.

7.  After you finish playing, wait quietly (The doors don't stop much sound) outside the performance room door.  After the next person finishes the performance chair will come out and tell you your rating and give you your music back.  If you received a I or a II, you get a medal!  Go pick it up at the medal desk!  The price of the medal is included in your S&E fee, so don't forget!

8.  Some final thoughts:

-I AM IN PERFORMANCE ROOM 4 IF YOU NEED ME.  If anything goes wrong, come find me and I'll see what I can do.  Don't just give up without talking to me first.  I am in a performance room however, so you have to wait until I come out to post results (I do this about every 10 minutes) DO NOT BARGE IN OR KNOCK DURING A PERFORMANCE.

-I will have my phone on (SILENCED) and will check my email periodically.  You may also TEXT me (most upperclassmen have it and can be obtained through snapchat etc.  I won't post it on the blog). DO NOT CALL ME DURING SOLO AND ENSEMBLE.

Ok, I think that's about it.  I'm proud of all of you! Best of luck!

Don’t worry everything will turn out fine!
-Smigell.