Friday, August 25, 2006

GAME WRAP UP (Edited)

What a game!!!! I really hope out of all this that four things are understood:

1. I want all the MB students to know how very proud I was to be their director tonight. You know that this isn't sunshine (because it wasn't all sunshine tonight, right?), this is the best beginning I have ever had to a year as a band director. Some of it is due to a new attitude on my part, but most of it has to do with all you band members picking up the vibe and rolling with it!! 95% of the night went CLOSE TO PERFECT (we'll get to what I thought wasn't perfect in a minute). THUMBS UP, FOLKS!

2. To the boosters who helped at the football game: THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have never had so much widespread help. It seemed like there were twice as many people assisting us tonight, and doing a great job. In the past, the work was shouldered by a valiant, frazzled few who always were burnt out by the end of the season. I would really like to prevent that this year by coninuing to involve even more (WAY MORE) people so that we get just as much (if not way more) done and keep from having the lifeforce sucked out of you!!


3. I hope the football team takes this as a learning experience rather than a crushing defeat. They played their hearts out and should be proud of themselves. They were never supposed to be even close and they almost won. These guys are worth supporting and so we shall....


4. We all have to try EVEN HARDER if we want to get where we want to go this year.


Ok... Here is the rest of the take on the football game. I was mad because We looked so great the rest of the night and it was reallyout of hand on the way back. This was a departure from our occasional "casual marches" that have happened in the past. It was everybody's fault, including my own for not being more specific. We will have a talk about how we conduct ourselves at the end of the night. In retrospect, it was not toobad, but compared to everything else that happened (your excellent march to the stadium, nice pregame, super enthusiasm in the stands, and great performance on the field), it really stuck out. There, I said it.